A framing nailer is a carpenter’s best friend. Whether you are a professional or a DIY fanatic, owning a framing nailer is always a plus. Framing nailers are extremely versatile in the scope of work they cover; be it sheathing, trusses, fencing, bridging or building decks, you will need a framing nailer.
If you are a pro, then you already know what you need and shopping for a framing nailer is easy. But if you are a beginner or a DIY newbie, finding the right framing nailer can be taxing. The options are numerous and overwhelming. Do you need one with a cord or cordless? Pneumatic, battery-charged, or fuel-powered? These are real questions that need to be answered before you make that critical decision. After all, you’ll have your framing nailer for decades.
The good news is, we got you. We have researched and compiled a list of the top 10 framing nailers of 2018. Now your decision will be lickety-split!
- 10. BOSTITCH F28WW Clipped Head 2-Inch to 3-1/2-Inch Framing Nailer with Magnesium Housing
- 9. Freeman PFR2190 21-Degree Full-Head Framing Nailer
- 8. 3PLUS H2890SP 28 Degree Clipped Head Framing Nailer
- 7. Makita AN923 3-1/2” Framing Nailer, 21 Degree Full Round Head
- 6. PORTER-CABLE FR350BR Factory-Reconditioned 22-Degree Full Round Head Framing Nailer Kit, 3-1/2”
- 5. BOSTITCH LPF21PL 21 Degrees 3-1/4-Inch Low Profile Framing Nailer
- 4. Hitachi NR90AESI 2-Inch to 3-1/2-Inch Plastic Collated Framing Nailer
- 3. PORTER-CABLE FR350B 3-1/2-Inch Full Round Framing Nailer
- 2. BOSTITCH F21PL Round Head 1-1/2-Inch to 3-1/2-Inch Framing Nailer with Positive Placement Tip and Magnesium Housing
- 1. Numax SFR2190 21-Degree Framing Nailer
10. BOSTITCH F28WW Clipped Head 2-Inch to 3-1/2-Inch Framing Nailer with Magnesium Housing
At only 7.6 pounds and 20 inches long, the Bostitch F28WW is super light and convenient for working long shifts. If your project has you snuggling in tight places or working overhead, then this is the best framing nailer for the job.
- It has a patented adjustable push-button depth guide that allows you to determine how deep to your nails should go.
- It has 100 nail capacity magazine which makes for less reloading
- The lightweight magnesium housing should not fool you; Bostitch F28WW has incredible driving power at 1050 In. /Lbs.
- The notched 16” layout indicator on the magazine is great for dictating distance between studs without the use of a tape measure.
- It comes with 28-degree wire coated framing nails and a rafter hook.
9. Freeman PFR2190 21-Degree Full-Head Framing Nailer
The Freeman PFR2190 is a pneumatic framing nailer and one of the best value for money in the market. It works with a range of nails from 20 degrees to 22 degrees with 21 degrees being the sweet spot. It weighs 8.5 pounds and 20 inches which is relatively convenient. Any job of roof decking, subfloors, wall framing or wood fencing definitely calls for the Freeman PFR2190.
- It has an Anti-dry fire mechanism that kicks in when 5 nails remain in the anodized aluminum magazine.
- The built-in magnesium construct reduces the overall weight of this nailer making it appropriate for heavy projects.
- It possesses a 360-degree adaptable exhaust to remove the excess air.
- Perhaps the best feature is the twin triggers that can fire single or successional nails.
- It is also equipped with a detachable no-mar tip for preventing damage on your work surface.
- Teflon-O rings as opposed to rubber guarantee better performance and a longer lasting nailer.
- It comes with a carrying case for less messy moving and storing, an air connector, 21-degree 3-1/2 inches full head framing nails, adjustment tools, an anti-dust cap, lubricating oil and safety goggles.
8. 3PLUS H2890SP 28 Degree Clipped Head Framing Nailer
3Plus H2890SP is a pneumatic framing nailer which was designed with the professional user at heart. It weighs 10.3 pounds. All the features in the 3Plus H2890SP are geared towards making long-haul work easier by taking hours off project time and saving loads of energy for the user.
- Setting nail heads is a breeze with the in-built tool-less adjustable depth control device.
- 3Plus has a work contact element that helps to eliminate accidental firing making this nailer safer for the user.
- It has a 360-degree adaptable exhaust cover that aids in aiming the excess air away from the user.
- There is a no-mar tip to ensure damage-free work surfaces.
- It allows for rear loading which users find easy.
7. Makita AN923 3-1/2” Framing Nailer, 21 Degree Full Round Head
The Makita AN923 is a complex yet easy to use framing nailer with numerous amazing features for the commercial user. It is ideal for roof and floor decking, wall sheathing and siding, wall, roof and floor framing, and subflooring. Perhaps the most lovable aspects about the Makita AN923 are the safety features.
- The tool-free depth adjustment device has nine different settings for precise and countersinks firing.
- It has a nail lock-out mechanism that activates when 3 nails remain in the aluminum-reinforced magazine.
- It pushes the envelope on triggers with 3-Mode selections of contact, serial and lock switches.
- It has an enlarged air chamber for optimal nail-driving power and an in-built air filter to prevent dust and debris from getting into the nailer. If dust or debris does get in, the back-pressure function triggered when the pressure hose is released will take care of it.
- The Makita AN923 comes with rubber bumpers to prevent damage on the work surface and rubber hand-grip for better handling of the tool.
6. PORTER-CABLE FR350BR Factory-Reconditioned 22-Degree Full Round Head Framing Nailer Kit, 3-1/2”
The reconditioned Porter Cable framing nailer is better than ever. It offers double the durability of the previous model, consistency in power and delivery, improved safety features, and a myriad of other awesome attributes.
- The in-line galvanized anodized magazine with bypass nail pusher for time-saving reloads, improved design, and over-molded hand-grip makes for a better-balanced nailer which is safe to work with.
- The tool-less adjustable depth comes with detents that help the user to properly position nail heads.
- The Porter Cable FR350BR comes with an interchangeable trigger which can switch from contact mode to singular mode with ease.
- It also has a detachable no-mar tip, an Anti-dry fire component, and a tool-free adjustable exhaust.
- It comes with plastic coated round-head framing nails of 22 degrees which can go to a depth of 31/2” x 0.131” into engineered lumber.
5. BOSTITCH LPF21PL 21 Degrees 3-1/4-Inch Low Profile Framing Nailer
If you are ever to work in a tight space, then you will need the Bostitch LPF21PL. The low-profile body means it measures about 12” and weighs 7.3 pounds which is perfect for long hours in tiny places.
- It has a knob that is used to adjust the depth of drive.
- It is proficient with nails measuring 2 to 3 1/4” x 0.113 to 0.148”
- The Bostitch LPF21PL has a 2-mode selection trigger for contact or sequential firing.
- It also has a rafter hook that is ideal for hanging your tool at any angle.
- It comes with a carrying case for mess-free portability and storage
4. Hitachi NR90AESI 2-Inch to 3-1/2-Inch Plastic Collated Framing Nailer
The Hitachi NR90AESI is a pneumatic petite and powerful nailer weighing 7.5 pounds. It is loved for its compact design, lightweight, commendable power, solid balance, and durability. The fact that the anodized aluminum magazine is physically separate from the mounting bracket is a huge advantage when reloading and when repairing.
- Its incredible power of 70-120 PSI drives 2-3 ½ “ plastic collated framing nails into engineered lumber.
- It possesses a 2-mode selective actuation switch which goes from contact to sequential firing with ease.
- There is a tool-less depth adjustment component for precision in flush or countersink nailing.
- It has a 2-piece magazine as well as a 2-step reloading sequence which is a major time-saver.
- It is equipped with a hardened claw tip for optimal work surface grip and vibration isolation pads to protect the magazine and ensure durability.
3. PORTER-CABLE FR350B 3-1/2-Inch Full Round Framing Nailer
Porter-Cable FR350B is a lightweight reconditioned framing nailer that is perfect for working long hours. It comes in at 7.3 pounds and 14.6 inches. It is twice as durable as its preceding version and it’s a great value for money.
- It has an interchangeable switch to that allows alternation between contact and successional firing.
- It comes with an adaptable depth-of-drive component equipped with detents for easy aligning of nail heads.
- Contains an Anti-dry fire lockout that notifies the user when they are running low on nails.
- The magazine is anodized with a 60-nail capacity
- It has a tool-free adjustable exhaust and a reversible rafter so that it’s always close to you but not in the way.
- The no-mar nose tip and the over-molded grip makes for easy working conditions
- It drives 22-degree 2” to 3 ½ “ x 0.113” to 0.148” plastic collated round-head framing nails to a maximum of 3 ½ “ in engineered lumber.
- It includes ¼ “Air fitting with dust cover.
2. BOSTITCH F21PL Round Head 1-1/2-Inch to 3-1/2-Inch Framing Nailer with Positive Placement Tip and Magnesium Housing
The Bostitch F21PL is popular among professionals as it is among DIY gurus. Perhaps the most commendable attribute is the weight versus horsepower. It weighs a flimsy 8.1 Lbs but commands a kick-ass 1050 In. /Lbs. of power. Users love this because it means you can accomplish copious amounts of work without breaking a sweat.
- Lightweight magnesium housing and consistent power of 1050 In. /Lbs.
- It has 2-in-one nailer settings that cover both framing and metal connectors.
- It has both adjustable depth-of-drive components and rafter hook.
- The magazine holds 60 21-degree 2” to 3 ½ “plastic collated framing nails.
- An adjustable trigger ensures you can choose between contact and successional type of firing.
- It has a 16” layout indicator for easy measuring of the distance between studs.
- It comes with 2 quick-change nose pieces.
1. Numax SFR2190 21-Degree Framing Nailer
The Numax SFR2190 was definitely created for DIY lovers. It does not do well for professionals because it is somewhat bulky at 8.5 Lbs. though with that weight comes commendable stability. It is ideal for framing, decking, and subflooring.
- It has a die-cast magnesium housing for optimal durability.
- It contains an automatic nail lock-out to for preventing dry firing.
- It is fitted with an Air filter and an Anti-dust cap.
- It has a 360-degree adaptable exhaust, a no-marring tip, and rubber O-rings.
- The user can choose between single and contact firing by the touch of a button.
- The Numax SFR2190 works with 2” to 3 ½ “full-headed collated plastic nails.
Ultimately the choice of a framing nailer comes down to two things; the kind project you are working on and your level of expertise. Professionals and DIY fanatics have different needs. All you have to do is lay out what you want to accomplish and find the specific nailer that fits your needs.